1 box chocolate/devil’s food cake mix
other ingredients required for box mix
(may include butter, eggs (add an extra egg), water)
(optional: 1/4 cup cocoa powder)
1 large can cherry pie filling
1 pint of whipping cream (also called heavy cream)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp chocolate chips
1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- Make the cake batter as directed on the box, but adding in an optional extra egg and 1/4 cup cocoa powder). Pour into two 8 inch non-stick circular pans. Bang the pans against a hard surface many times to get the air bubbles out. Optional, let sit for 30 minutes for more bubbles to go out. Getting the air out is important because you want at least one of the pans to have a flatter cake so that it may be layered on the bottom. Bake according to box.
- Beat whipping cream with electric mixer, slowly adding sugar until it becomes as light as whipped cream.
- Once the cake is done baking (after testing with a toothpick to see if it comes out cleanly), carefully go around the edge of the pan with a knife so that the cake can be more easily removed from the pan. Repeat for other pan. Put the cake on the surface you want it to be on, as it will be hard to move later.
- Spread layer of whipped cream on top of one layer of cake. Add half the can of cherry pie filling.
- Layer second cake layer. Spread layer of whipped cream on top with a knife and decorate the edge with a ring of whipped cream with a frosting tip.
- Add remaining cherry pie filling.
- Microwave the chocolate chips and the oil in 30 second increments until melted, mixing between each time. Drizzle on top in criss-cross pattern.